Home    FAQ   COU   Members List   Calendar   Search   

Go Back   Omgasl > OzClans Hosted Clans > 101st Delta Squadron > Off-Topic Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 12-06-2004, 05:21 PM
Manhole Cleaner
Attention! Movie Review. This time - The Punisher

I'm going to see The Punisher in a little bit. Expect a review when I get back, probably around 9:30ish or so.

I like birds and trees cause I'm fruity!

Last edited by Paragon101st : 12-06-2004 at 11:35 PM.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:25 PM
101st's Bitch

hurry the fark up

[subliminal message]Press Ctrl + W Now[/subliminal message]
Old 12-06-2004, 09:41 PM
Manhole Cleaner

As promised...

You know...once in awhile, a movie makes you think. Not in the intellectual manner of speaking, it just makes you...think. It's hard to explain what I mean by this. But you know, think, like, "Oh man, I'm thinking!"

The Punisher is one of those movies.

I went into this movie with Medium-Level Expectations. I knew it was a movie based off a comic book character, but the lack of advertising and the fact some reviews had dismissed it as mindless violence worried me. Still, I did my best to go in there so I could provide you all with a non-biased review.

Frank Castle (Tom Jane) is an FBI Agent, one of the best. He'd done several stints in elite army squads before joining the Feds, so he already knew what he was doing in terms of ass-kicking. After one last mission that ends with some random people dying, Castle resigns, so he can be a family man with his Wife and Son. Then, it's off to Puerto Rico for a big family reunion.

Trouble is, one of those deaths wasn't so random. In the body count was the son of Howard Saint (John Travolta), a modern day gangster. So naturally, once Saint finds out who was responsible for his Son's death, he organises a hit on Castle. But no, Saint's Wife (Random Hollywood Hotty) decides to up the ante, and instruct the hit squad to kill Castle and his *entire* family. Dad, Mum, Uncle, Aunty...any person at that reunion, died. Even Frank Castle was left for dead...and came back as something else...

Without spoiling it, that's the basic plot. Make no mistake, I loved this movie. While the acting was a bit iffy, and the dialogue was sometimes cheesy, the idea of The Punisher is one that has always struck a chord with me...a man so driven to despair and anguish by losing everything, so with nothing left to lose, he fights back. By unlocking the primal urge to seek revenge, he transforms his hatred and anger into Punishment.

I give this movie a Zsinj's Llama. (4 out of 5).

Old 12-06-2004, 09:54 PM
Location: Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia, Sol System, Eastern Spiral Arm, Mi

i agree with what para said...this movie is well worth a look see, and i must say, i hope they get a sequel out of it, 'cause i know they'll do it better the second time round...

<This is also an unsolicited post brought to you by a member of the 101st Oily Food Lovers Association>

Old 13-06-2004, 02:19 PM
cHix0r

Interesting. When a woman wants revenge she's just seen as a psychotic bitch...

Read my column at AusBF

Old 13-06-2004, 05:09 PM
Location: Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia, Sol System, Eastern Spiral Arm, Mi

oh well the punisher is a psychotic bitch too...but a psychotic bitch with plenty of guns...

<This is also an unsolicited post brought to you by a member of the 101st Oily Food Lovers Association>

Old 13-06-2004, 05:56 PM

Yes - a psychotic bitch with plenty of guns is generally known not as "psychotic bitch" but "Sir."
World of difference.
Old 13-06-2004, 07:45 PM
Manhole Cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel |F
Interesting. When a woman wants revenge she's just seen as a psychotic bitch...

It's actually funny you say that Mel.

There's a quote he says in the movie, that certainly bought a chill to my spine..

"This isn't revenge. Revenge is an emotion; it's not a valid excuse. This...is Punishment"

Old 13-06-2004, 08:01 PM
cHix0r

Ah yes, the line from the trailer. Doesn't change anything though!

Read my column at AusBF

Old 13-06-2004, 10:42 PM

it's true what Jantar said...although in mel's case it would be "ma'am"...

Old 14-06-2004, 01:00 AM
cHix0r

Yeah, calling me Sir would just be weird...

Read my column at AusBF

Old 14-06-2004, 08:57 AM

yes ma'am...