Home    FAQ   COU   Members List   Calendar   Search   

Go Back   Omgasl > OzClans Hosted Clans > [zero] Clan Zero > [ Zero ] General Chat
User Name
Password

Old 24-09-2003, 12:03 AM
Location: In a giant shoe, with 9 other children, and an old [crippled] lady.
Angst What do you hate about Microsoft?

DAMN F'ING MICROSOFT! Im using linux redhat 9.0, and i cant acess into any msn chat site thingys.

They dont release games on linux

They dont release programs on linux

And because of the 'influence' microsoft has on school and work places... it comes home with us aswell!

Microsoft is so lame because it is not opensource! I mean if it were open source and there was somthing wrong with it, which knowing windows there problay is, you dont have to wait months for a patch! You can dive into the code and fix it yourself!

AND!!! if it was opensorce more bugs would be squished! think about it! there is about 2 million unix users on this globe, and only 2% are using a unix based operating system and about 0.58% are using an apple, and the remaining are using microsoft products, think about it, imagine having 97.42% of the computer user's out there working on improving windows. HOW MUCH BETTER WOULD IT BE!

And who would want to pay so much money for a shite peice of software anyways?!?! Even when you and get linux for free!

remember those crap BSOD error's?
Well you can't get them in Linux boys... no no you cant!

Linux is 100% compatible with all products out there! no more installing drivers! why? Because your system is running at it's peak allthe time.

And it's more resource-full!

oh man, look what microsoft did to me! im praticly selling linux....

ahhh... im feeling a little better now... how about you? what do you hate about windows?
Old 24-09-2003, 01:19 AM
Random like a True Zero!

i agree with 99% (see i like percentages to ) of what your saying. how ever if it was open source new and uglyer problems would accure that also means that no operating system would be the same makeing tech support for computer illiterits impossible over the phone and would require a hands on approch, which in the long run will cost you more then paying the $500-$600 for windows Xp which comes with free tech support (even if it takes 1 hour to get through).
prity much having it all open source brings in to play alot more problems that me and you can even imagin.
haveing a uniformity does help alot of issues. yes microsoft is the biggist peice of sh*t ever in the history of the world (yes even bigger then 10 T-rex's could drop in a life time).
Old 24-09-2003, 06:28 PM
Administrator

I'd choose Windows over linux for a desktop unit anyday. Iv set up my whole school with linux computers as a desktop unit, and they blow goats. The reliablty is shocking and getting things to work is even harder.

Linux is only good for servers, and thats what I use it for.
Old 24-09-2003, 07:49 PM

Hero, with RedHat you can register it for a price and get help and support for free.... or you can just google it

Lego, since you are an Administrator I will not agree or disagree on anything you just said...

ahhh blow it! Linux server's are good... thats why telstra are moving to linux servers ***me looks at one perticular person*** (yes you know who you are!) Lunix for a desktop PC only blows if you dont know how to use it! thats why i recomend the whole world to turn from windows to linux.... but thats just my opinion...
Old 24-09-2003, 11:31 PM

I'm a Network Admin to and I'd hate to have linux on desktops as well. If everyone hated Microsoft so much why are they still in business? Because believe it or not, they have a superior product in some respects, especially when it comes to an idiot "all I know how to answer the phone" and "isn't rebooted just turning off the monitor" are concerned.

Slaide
Old 24-09-2003, 11:43 PM
Random like a True Zero!

lol correct. i agree completely with both lego and slaide.
i work along side the network administrator at my school and i can tell you microsoft is simple to fix problem. however i don't know anything about linux so i won't bad mouth it.

also elad i remember you talking about not being able to use the msn chat rooms now that your on linux, i have some news for you msn across the globe are shuting down there chat rooms to try and battle child perverts.

slaide- where are you a network admin at ? (if you don't mind me asking, i would ask you on msn messenger however u never seem to go on anymore)
Old 25-09-2003, 04:40 PM

Bah! microsoft is 'the idiots guide to a pc'

i think this is the wrong place to post this 'shit' because im guessing pritty much everyone here uses a 'form' of windows, And im allso guessing that most of you like microsoft. tisk! pfft!

Im going to look this way now....
Old 25-09-2003, 07:23 PM
Random like a True Zero!

lol elad yes i do use windows, however i do have linux 9 waiting to be installed but i am alittle reluctant, becuase i will have to format me hard drive which means burning my 10 gig of music to cds :'( and that sounds like to much trouble just to change to a new OS that will take me a while to get to know anywayz.
Old 25-09-2003, 08:48 PM
Administrator

I use slackware on my router/firewall here, and I love it to bits. Redhat was my other preferance as well, but mandrake blows!
Old 25-09-2003, 09:46 PM

Pro Microsoft people piss me off almost as much as pro Linux people

Each has it's place.

Slaide
Old 25-09-2003, 09:59 PM
Zero Member (eeek!)

i love microsoft! They are so shrewd and do such a good job of domiating any market they get into - i have to admire that! Also, I really like their products - their OS's and Office are v good IMO. I was so rapt when I started running XP from the demo version when it came out right at the beginning - i've never been disappointed with it, and that PC running XP is the most stable of any i've used in my life! go microsoft /Rem chants and cheers

if i had to pick on MS for anything, it would be the prices.... paying hundreds for an OS (even like XP) is just too much, and when i've owned just about every version of dos and windows ever made, the upgrade cost is even too much for me! There's a rant
Old 25-09-2003, 11:49 PM

Lego: Um, Slackware? um... /me pulls out Linux guild for idiots... ok, "Slackware, one of the oldest distibutions of linux still being produced, is unique in that it dose not use an advance packaging system such as RPM (Red Hat, Mandrake, SuSE) or DEB (Debian), instead choosing to rely on building each program from it's original source code. Slackware is mostly targeted at server enviroments and advance users. It is an excelent distribution to try if you want to understand how linux operates internally, or if you have experience with other forms of UNIX "
It's just too long! But it sound very good, except that from my reading it dosn't sound like there is any GUI. which would make it good for servers, but bad for a desktop pc (Dah!). I take my hat off for you Lego...

allso Mandrake blows!

Slaide: pfft!

Rem: /me bigs up large fish and slaps rem with it, "Damn it rem! Wake UP! I can't stand to see kind, nice people unknowingly suffer the curse of the dreaded microsoft... Rem you must taste the colours of the rainbow! You must taste the goodness that linux has imbued into ^our^ software! dont you understand?!
it is made by the people for the people! those people volenteer their time and efforts into Linux! Is there anything more pure that this?

Rem even if you dont try out linux, can you please just try and get rid of MSOffice and replace it with the free & better Open Office?

Download:
http://public.www.planetmirror.com/p...el_install.zip

Help:
http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/instructions.html

***cough*** errm...
Disclaimer:
This software is still in beta stages, use at your own risk... alltho i have had no problem with it...

Well there's my 2 cents!
Old 25-09-2003, 11:57 PM

Allso i gotta say i cannot wait till 'Long-Horn' Come out, i'll give it a burle then... allso im stuck with windows still (dual boot) because i have not got wine/winex to work yet
Old 26-09-2003, 11:55 AM
Administrator

At this point in time, Linux is far behind due to software and games. Heck you need a emulater to play most games, which uses more ram, which equals in your game not performing as well.
Old 26-09-2003, 02:17 PM

no comment. (i cbf reading all that )
Old 26-09-2003, 06:58 PM

Don't expect to convert your ms office documents even 90% successfully if you move to open office.. Plus who actually owns msoffice?

lol..

Slaide
Old 26-09-2003, 11:39 PM
Random like a True Zero!

i sort of do
Old 28-09-2003, 10:38 PM

That's what I meant..

Slaide
Old 29-09-2003, 03:44 PM
Zero Member (eeek!)

lol - i actually bought a copy of ms office a few years ago when a new version came out (office 4 i think) - so i bought the previous version of office for $40 and then got a free upgrade to the new one due to a temporary free upgrade offer!!!!

but now i get to use office at home for free anyway cos i get a licence from work
Old 29-09-2003, 09:12 PM
Random like a True Zero!

lucky bugger lol . so it ain't legally yours hahaha
your in the clear lol
Old 29-09-2003, 10:26 PM

I'm not so sure..

:/

Slaide
Old 30-09-2003, 11:04 AM

i hate microsoft because it makes people start these stupid threads
Old 19-10-2003, 01:23 PM

having 2 comps, running windows on 1 for gaming, and linux on this comp just for random internet perusing and homework/communications etc etc it works wonderfully. No software problems at all, licq ownz icq nowadays in my books. Mozilla shitted me abit at the beginning, so i swapped to mozilla firebird. Which is a CLONE of IE, without any crashing whatsoever however!. Also the great thing about linux, support, for microsoft you ONLY get half decent support if youve paid for the software, and have an unlimited phone bill so you can call them up. With linux goto any billion or so documentation sites. Else just goto irc.linux.org and talk to linux genius's who can fix whatever problem you have.
See if you think about it microsoft is saving itself by writin such crappy software, cause otherwise wed have been able to lock on all our missle silos onto MS hq, only prob is win keeps crashing
Old 20-10-2003, 05:55 PM

Just a question.

If microsoft contiues to write crappy software.. Why does a majority of people continue to use it?

Possibly due to the alternatives?

Just food for thought.

Slaide
Old 20-10-2003, 07:02 PM
Random like a True Zero!

that isn't new food my mind gobbled that up years ago i'm starving. my mind is very picky it don't like eating the same thing in the same century it can get very fat that way.
Old 20-10-2003, 10:52 PM

Why slaide? I'll tell you why.

1. Windows what the first user-friendly GUI OS (shhh DOS lovers) in which had a good platform for both games and word-procesing.

2. Being the humans which we are, when we have found somthing we like, trust, and which is easy, we naturaly stick to it.

3. Programer/Devloper: Hmm... since the public like Windows lets make windows based programs, because it would be stupid for us to write a program for another os that has only 1% of PC users. - you see they are only thinking of $$$

4. Microsoft is smart, it releases software which is buggy, then they fix it to show the world that they are good people, and that you can rely on then to fix their software.

Excuse the spelling mistakes, but im tired!!
Old 21-10-2003, 01:11 PM
Zero Member (eeek!)

lol - this reminds me of the futile arguments my uni mates used to have in the late 80's over which computer was the best, the Amiga, or IBM compatibles..... and the funniest thing was all the proud amiga owners i knew eventually sold their amazing amiga's in order to buy IBM compatibles
Old 21-10-2003, 05:44 PM

Amigas were much better games computers than the IBM compats.

Slaide
Old 22-10-2003, 02:12 PM

I think the're both g3h, i would of built my own pc (if i was around then)
Old 22-10-2003, 03:55 PM
Zero Member (eeek!)

i can't believe the amount of drivel in this thread - we need to hose it off